Posts Tagged cooking
I enjoy being a student who can cook. The traditional student is obviously one that just shoves beans in the microwave but i like to get away from that stereotype. Most recently, and for a while now, I have been making bread. First off I tried my hand at nice and simple plain bread, next stop was rye bread (I tried it once, the first I was happy with, the second taste like halitosis), I am currently on my brown bread phase and am loving it.
I think whilst there hasn’t been much diversity in my baking I have managed to perfect it by slotting into my routine. Wake up, put the dough in the oven, make the dough for the next loaf (takes 5 minutes max.), and then voila my bread is made, perfect for my ham sandwiches.. or when i was feeling good about myself for some homemade burgers.
However much flour you want (be adventurous see where it takes you) – plain loaf obviously plain flour, brown for brown, etc.
Sprinkling of yeast
Sprinkling of sugar (caster will do)
1. Put everything but the water in a bowl and mix together.
2. Add the water and mix until it all comes together into a doughy ball.
3. Put a lid on it and put to one side.
4. The longer you leave it the more mature the taste, I like to leave it for a day or so so its smells nice and sour when i put it n the oven..
5. Put it in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees centigrade for about 30 minutes.
The point is to have fun in your kitchen and create something simple that is satisfying, go out and experiement with flavours as well by adding stuff to the dough before you put it in the oven. E.g. walnuts/ tomato puree/ herbs…
Tell me what you think/ If you have any ideas for my baker’s hands…